Zimbabwe tour of Australia in August has been postponed due to coronavirus pandemic. Zimbabwe and Australia were scheduled to play a three-match ODI series from August 9 to August 15.
This series would have marked the end of a 12-year absence of international cricket in Australia’s far north. The Zimbabwe series would have marked the first-ever visit by a senior Australian men’s team to Townsville’s Riverway Stadium, where the third match of the series was to be played, while Darwin had been floated as a venue for the other two matches.Australia’s senior men’s squad have not visited Darwin since a training camp in mid-2017 ahead of a tour to Bangladesh.
In a statement, Cricket Australia interim chief executive Nick Hockley said, “While we are disappointed to postpone the series, CA and Zimbabwe Cricket agree that in the best interest of players, match officials, volunteers and our fans, that this is the most practical decision. We are committed to working with Zimbabwe Cricket on alternative dates to reschedule.”
While Zimbabwe Cricket’s acting managing director Givemore Makoni said, “We were excited about facing Australia but, given the circumstances, deferring the tour was the only option. We are, however, looking forward to the rescheduling of the series as soon as practically possible.”