After 13 COVID-19 cases in the Chennai Super Kings camp, CSK is likely to miss the opening game against Mumbai Indians in the 13th edition of Indian Premier League starting from September 19. The quarantine period for the CSK team has been extended after two players and several members of support staff were tested COVID-19 positive, another team might likely replace CSK for the opening contest.
“They will now not be in a position to contest the opening game of the IPL 2020. We will give CSK few more days to come out of this setback,” a BCCI official said on Friday.
As reported by The Times of India, the BCCI might contemplate fielding Virat Kohli-led RCB against MI in the IPL opener to ensure there are no dearth of superstars in the opening match.
“It could possibly be Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) because in the first match, you’ll need star players on the field. If MS Dhoni is missing, then it has to be Virat Kohli,” those tracking developments told TOI.
Deepak Chahar and Ruturaj Gaikwad are the two cricketers who have tested positive for COVID-19 in the CSK camp. The franchise faced another setback last week when Suresh Raina withdrew from the tournament, citing personal reasons.