The cancellation of this year’s IPL looks inevitable as the country went on complete lockdown form 24th March midnight due to COVID-19 pandemic for 21 days. The Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly had said that it’s very difficult to say on the status of IPL 2020 as nothing has changed in the last 10 days.
“I can’t say anything at the moment. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. So, I don’t have an answer to it. Status quo remains,” Ganguly told PTI in an interview.
A conference call was cancelled between the BCCI and the IPL Franchise on 24th march which was scheduled to discuss a way forward amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The BCCI should really consider postponing the IPL now. As a premier event, we need to act with great responsibility. Contemplation of IPL is inhuman right now. We need to save lives, not IPL,” Kings XI Punjab said to PTI.
“Let’s say even if the situation improves by May and I hope it does, who is going to come and play? Will the (foreign players) be even allowed to enter the country?” he asked.
Earlier this month IPL 2020 was postponed till 15 April, which was scheduled to start from 29 of this month.
“Things remain as it was on (March 14), when we decided to postpone the IPL (to April 15). Since then nothing has changed. So, there is no update,” Sourav Ganguly said.