Football Sports Development Limited (FSDL) have acquired the Media Rights of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) competitions for the Indian subcontinent in a 4-year agreement. The Indian subcontinent, which includes India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives.
The breakthrough deal signed with Football Marketing Asia, the exclusive commercial partner with AFC, grants FSDL exclusive media rights ownership which includes all major AFC national team and club competitions
The deal includes all major AFC national team and club competitions, including but not limited to the final round of the AFC Asian Qualifiers – Road to Qatar, AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022, the AFC Asian Cup China 2023, as well as the annual club competitions, the AFC Champions League and the AFC Cup from the 2021 season.
FSDL will be sub-licencing the media rights to partner channels and partner digital services providing significantly more coverage of AFC competitions on both liner and digital channels in the sub-continent that has previously had very little exposure to Asian football.
As part of the agreement, FSDL will produce and distribute the match feed to AFC for most of the AFC competitions held in the Indian subcontinent.
The four-year AFC Media Rights deal for the 2021-2024 cycle provides FSDL broadcast rights to the following AFC current and future fixtures:
- AFC National Team Competitions
- AFC Asian Qualifiers – Road to Qatar (FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Asian Qualifiers Final Round)
- AFC Women’s Asian Cup Finals 2022
- AFC U23 Asian Cup Finals 2022
- AFC U20 Women’s Asian Cup Finals 2022
- AFC U17 Women’s Asian Cup Finals 2022
- AFC Futsal Asian Cup Finals 2022
- AFC Asian Cup Finals 2023
- AFC U20 Asian Cup Finals 2023
- AFC U17 Asian Cup Finals 2023
- AFC U23 Asian Cup Finals 2024
- AFC Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament (Final Round) for Paris 2024
- AFC U20 Women’s Asian Cup Finals 2024
- AFC U17 Women’s Asian Cup Finals 2024
- AFC Futsal Asian Cup Finals 2024 (2024 acting as the 2024 FIFA World Futsal Championships – Asian Final Qualifying Round)
- AFC Solidarity Cup 2024
- AFC Club Competitions
- AFC Champions League 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 (group stage, knock-out stage and finals)
- AFC Cup 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 (group stage, knock-out stage and finals)
- AFC Futsal Club Championships Finals 2022, 2023, 2024
The AFC Cup 2021 Group D competition being held at the National Football Stadium in Male, the Maldives starting today, will be live telecast on Star Sports Network, for Hindi SS 1 & SS 1 HD; For English SS 2, SS 2 HD & SS 3. In addition, FSDL have also added TV9 Bangla and SS 1 Bangla to the regional channel mix. Disney Hotstar and Jio will broadcast on their respective OTT platform.
Dato’ Windsor John, the AFC General Secretary, said, “The AFC is delighted to enter into this partnership with FSDL, which represents another decisive step towards increasing the consumption of the AFC’s competitions and confirming football as Asia’s number one sport as outlined in the AFC’s Vision.”
“We look forward to working with FSDL in expanding the fanbase of the AFC’s world-class competitions in a region that continues to showcase Asia’s undeniable passion for the game, and we thank them for believing in the future of Asian football,” he added.
Nita Ambani, Founder & Chairperson, FSDL said, “This is a hugely significant development for Indian football. To bring Asia’s best footballing action for our fans is a key part of our long-term strategy, commitment, and desire to have as many Indian youths participate, follow, and engage with the sport. I believe the live telecast of AFC competitions to our homes will enable a generation of youth to follow the “beautiful game” and continue to raise and develop the profile of the sport.”
“We are fully committed to the development of Indian football and will continue to work with the stakeholders in India, AFC and the FIFA towards building a strong ecosystem,” she added.
Patrick Murphy, Board Member and CEO at Football Marketing Asia, said, “We are excited to welcome FSDL as our valued media partner. FSDL has strong relationships with broadcasters throughout the Indian subcontinent who have the necessary experience and expertise in their local markets to further strengthen the presence of Asian football. We are looking forward to seeing more fans enjoy AFC competitions.”